Each year, from November 5 to 11, Canadians join together to celebrate Veterans’ Week – this year is no different. During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Today, many Canadian Forces members are returning home from missions around the world. Canadians recognize the commitment made by our service men and women and their families. They, along with past generations of Veterans, have made many sacrifices in the name of peace and freedom.
This Veterans’ Week, take the remembrance challenge. Your challenge is to make remembrance more than something you feel, make it something you do. There are many ways to show that you remember and honour our Veterans:
- Pin a poppy above your heart.
- Attend the local Remembrance Day ceremony.
- Talk to a friend or relative who has just returned home from Afghanistan or who served in other areas of conflict.
- Listen to Veterans talk about their experiences.
- Create a mashup and share it on the YouTube Channel (Opens a new window) and on our Veterans’ Week Remembrance Feed.
- Visit the Veterans Affairs Canada Facebook fan page (Opens a new window), write on our wall and share how you remember.
- Change your Facebook profile picture to a poppy.
- Blog, tweet or update your Facebook status about the importance of remembrance.
Above all, we must vow never to forget. However you choose to remember, be sure you tell a friend, a family member or a colleague. Together, it is our duty to pass on the legacy and keep the memories of our Canadian Veterans alive.
This Veterans’ Week, how will you remember?