Losing a loved one is always hard. But during the holiday season grief can be almost overwhelming. While things may feel very grim there are some steps you can take to help you get through the holidays while you grieve. Here are some tips to help you or a loved one through the coming season.
- Do not feel guilty – Know that it is ok to feel happiness through a difficult time
- Share happy memories about your loved one
- Allow support from your family and friends or find a support group in your area – You don’t have to do this alone. If you are helping someone through the grief stage – let them know you are there for them.
- Celebrate old traditions or make new ones in memory of your loved one.
- Most importantly – Take care of yourself
If someone close to you is entering the holiday season after a loss, here are a few ways you can help them get through this difficult time.
- Be an ear to listen if they want to talk
- Help them with shopping, decorating and errands
- Reassure them that whatever they are feeling is ok. Everyone grieves differently.
- Visit, call, invite them to dinner, or just let them know you are there
- Above all be patient and understanding